5.29.2009

Being Lucky in ... Well, You Know

You can find May's eco-article online here. Or you could just read it below.

Ready your hankies ... It's a sappy one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kentucky Love and Conservation
Becky Haltermon, Boone County Solid Waste Education Coordinator
May 2009

I will freely admit that when I hear “My Old Kentucky Home,” it brings a little tear to my eye.

Driving on the back roads with sun gleaming through the green leaves, I recently had an epiphany: I truly love Kentucky.

This stunning scenery, the glowing skyline of rolling hills, our lush land flush with wildlife – These are the reasons to be a Kentucky conservationist. I’ve spent several summer nights laughing with the locals in Rabbit Hash and innumerable spring mornings exploring our several serene parks. I’ve spotted deer, turtles, snakes, turkeys, and rabbits from backyards in Union. I’ve jumped into chilly ponds on hot August nights. I’ve hiked, canoed, climbed rocks, and picnicked in the woods. I grew up here. I kissed a beau at Big Bone State Park. I celebrated my birthday at Giles-Conrad Park.

And I still find myself awed at the unbelievable diversity, history, and natural wonders found in Boone County and across our state.

I’m sure everyone reading these lines has similar stories to share. Anybody who has spent even a weekend outdoors here knows that clearly, our community is worth conserving. That’s why I recycle. It’s why I opt for the preservation of green space. It’s why I make sure to dispose of household wastes in the most ecological way possible and it’s why no one can convince me that littering is ever a decent idea.

We’re a lucky people who get to live in Kentucky. Join me as I show my pride and, like the trite signs say, help keep Kentucky beautiful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments: