10.28.2009

Bye Bye Becky

I have to say goodbye to you.

I am leaving our lovely county for the big city of Columbus, Ohio. I like you and I will miss you.

I'm trying not to be maudlin but frankly, I'm a little blue even though my future adventures are calling.

I wrote everything out in my November eco-article below. You can even check out Recorder editor Nancy Daly's blog about it here.

In the meantime, you can always email me at rebeccahaltermon@gmail.com.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bye Bye Becky
November 2009

I am going to be honest: This month’s column has actually very little to do with the environment.

I apologize. I’m sure that in the coming months, readers will be regaled with more info on ecology than many can possibly fathom. However, I will not be around to peruse these columns because…

…Because I’m leaving.

Life is so funny. When I was hired to the illustrious Division of Solid Waste, I knew very little about the ways of Kentucky environmentalism. I was simply an English major armed with a little bit of public speaking experience and a whole lot of optimism. And now, after seven eventful years here, I am moving on to another great adventure. My last day serving Boone County is October 30.

And it seems that no matter how excited I am about beginning this new chapter in my memoir, I can’t help but feel a little blue because this job was awesome. Truly. So indulge me in taking a moment to thank those who have made my task of increasing environmental awareness incredibly rewarding.

Thanks to those who have supported me. This includes my family, my refuse mentor Ms. Mary Dickey, our enforcement czar Kelly Chapman, the captain of Public Works Greg Sketch and Judge-Executive Gary Moore. I have tried programs and failed. I have accidentally annoyed people. I have pushed various boundaries – intellectual, comfort, and good taste, to name a few – and no matter what kind of mess I find myself in, there have been a posse of people willing to pick me up. You do not know what this has meant to me.

Thanks to those who have opposed me. Curiously, this also includes my family as well as some unrepentant litterbugs, folks to steal garbage services, individuals who dis what I do, and any number of residents who question their government. I sincerely thank you for making me take responsibility, defend my actions, and push to improve my programs. Constructive criticism is nothing to take for granted.

Finally, thanks to you. Thank you, Boone County. I was lucky enough to be born and raised here and found myself especially blessed with the task of keeping our home beautiful. I hope that the work I’ve done has improved this land I love for everyone. It’s been an honor.

Bye bye, Boone County. Whatever state I live in, whatever employment I happen to land, I will always be at heart a Kentucky girl with a heart of green.

No comments: